Saturday, April 13, 2013

My first race

Some friends from RLG were going to run in the Spring Chicken 10k in Temple and invited everyone in the group to join. I wanted to participate but didn't think I was in shape enough to do it. With ten days before race day I decided to commit to doing it. I figured worst case I would have to walk. I got new minimal shoes and wore them around the house because I was told you need to get use to them. I thought I would start out walking and work up to running. I know I didn't leave much time to train but I figured doing something even if I'm slow is better than doing nothing at all. My first day I walked 2.5 miles and other than blisters my feet felt fine. Day two I walked to Target and back which was supposed to be five miles round trip but I didn't account for the time I would be shopping. I thought I would take a different way home so we wouldn't be walking along the highway. I didn't know that the way I chose didn't have a sidewalk until it was too late. I'm pushing Timmy in the stroller full of groceries on a slant of grass and mud. I was tracking my time to Target, my time shopping and my time walking home. I was walking for two hours forty seven minutes and my foot was so messed up. Apparently you need to gradually break in the minimal shoes like one mile for a while not five miles your second day wearing them. My foot hurt to even walk so with a little over a week until the race I wasn't sure I would be able to do it. My friends that are experienced runners told me to rest my foot until the race so I did. I trained for two whopping days and got an injury so I wasn't able to run much at all but I finished. I was humbled because I had to walk most of the race because it hurt too much to run, but I was proud of myself for finishing. My time was still better than I thought it would be. It felt so good to know I did it!




My sweet friend Sarah sacrificed a good time to finish the race with me and the rest of the group also came back to help me finish. They were a great support!




My boys at the finish line cheering me on.








Awesome friends who encouraged me to do the race.



No comments:

Post a Comment